Sunday, August 14, 2011

1987 Dailymotion - Fischli Weiss - The Way Things Go - a Arts video.




Youtube 2011, '1987, Fischli Weiss - The Way Things Go', viewed August 15, 2011,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzQvLFSMlSg&feature=related


I talked to James today and there was a feeling that I need to bring more of the studio to life in my identity. Bring the characters who work in there out in my work. The videos are one aspect of it but I need to make the studio the focus of all of my work. I am possibly missing the mark by creating an identity that looks to much like a spray can or a bmx poster.

I can see where he is coming from. He suggested looking at this film by Fischili and Weiss. Called 'The Way Things Go', it deconstructs everyday items and turns them into art. This is an ongoing theme in their work and was the basis for a Honda ad where the car is deconstructed and the various parts work together to make a complete car roll out onto the stage.

So the concept for the Rage Cage project then is to create something that will bring all the aspects of the studio together and bring out the personalities of the artists who work there. This could come in the form of stop motion animation. Illustrative animation. Photo montage or video montage. Bring the studio to life I suppose.

The outcome of this will hopefully be a title sequence and identity that then go on to inform every other aspect of the project.

Back to the drawing board!!

Below is the Honda advertisement that was influenced by Fischili and Weiss's 'The Way Things Go'.




Source: Youtube 2011, 'Honda Ad', viewed 15 August, 2011,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2VCfOC69jc

No comments:

Post a Comment